TransUnion Interactive, Inc. Privacy Statement
Last updated August 16, 2017
The Information We Collect from You
We collect certain information ("Information") from you if you interact with us, for instance, if you visit our websites, or if you obtain Products from us. Such information includes:
- Online Information: This is information or data collected on the TransUnion Interactive websites and applications, which may include information on what website you visited, when you visited it, how long you stayed, and what device you accessed the website from. We may also collect additional information, such as: the device you use to access our website(s) or our mobile applications; your browsing history while you are on our websites or apps (e.g., the pages you view, how long you stay on each page, how often you come back and your behavior while you are on our websites); the IP Address and information related to that IP Address such as geographical information, domain information the internet service provider used; which ads or online content that you view, access, or click on; the location of your mobile device.
- Personal Information: This is information that can be used to personally identify an individual, such as name, social security number, date and place of birth, mother's maiden name, employment information, loan account information or email address.
- Nonpersonal Information: This is information that is anonymized, de-identified, or depersonalized in a way that does not identify an individual to a third party. It includes information that we may collect from our consumers.
- Transactional Information: This is information that you provide to us to complete your transaction that does not fit into the categories above, such as credit card numbers, or other information that we use in order to provide consumers with the best products that we can.
What Security Measures We Take
Please see the Security Document for information on our security, found by clicking here: https://www.transunionplus.com/help/resources/security.htm
How We Use and Share Your Personal Information
- To complete your transaction: If you purchase or enroll in our Products, we will collect your Personal information and Transactional Information such as your credit card information in order to process your transactions and provide you with quality customer service. We will also collect this information if you participate in our affiliate program, participate in one of our contests or surveys or transact other business with us. "Products" include any product that you receive from TransUnion Interactive, Inc., including TransUnion Plus and any features associates therewith, and any associated add-ons or upgrades accessed by you.
To Provide You with Products and their Features:
We may use your Personal Information to provide you with the Products you purchased or
ordered. For instance, in order to provide you with Live ID Alerts, a feature of TransUnion Plus, we must use your Personal
Information to identify you and your credit report, and to send you alerts to critical changes in your credit
report. If you enroll in a Product that provides you with targeted offers, your Personal Information will be
used to generate targeted offers that we believe are relevant to your interests. Here's some more information
about those uses:
- To Verify Your Identity: We use your Personal Information to authenticate your identity, and to confirm that the person requesting your credit report really is you and not an impostor or other person improperly seeking to access your information.
- To Send Emails and Other Alerts: Some of our membership products, such as Live ID Alerts may include alert emails or other informational emails that are sent on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. These emails are part of the membership benefits and cannot be disabled for persons who are members of these products. In order to ensure that you receive up-to-date notifications and alerts, please make sure your email address is accurate in your profile. If you do not have an accurate email address in your profile, then you will not receive email alerts that are provided by some products. Alerts are not encrypted. Alerts may include Personal Information about you and your accounts. Anyone with access to your email would be able to view the content of these alerts. You agree to keep your membership and alerts secure and private where appropriate. You may also receive alerts through text message so make sure your phone number is up-to-date in your profile to ensure that you receive the alerts.
- To Complete Orders: When you order a credit report or other product, TransUnion Interactive must share some of your Personal Information with third parties in order to process your transaction. For example, TransUnion Interactive must share your name, address and social security number with one or more of the major credit reporting agencies in order to obtain your requested credit report, and must share your name, address and credit card account number with our credit card processing partner in order to process your payment. These third parties are not allowed to use personally identifiable information except for the purpose of providing these products.
- To Provide You with Customer Service: If, in the course of your relationship with TransUnion Interactive, you need help, we may use your Information to provide you with customer service.
- To Prevent Fraud: We may use your Information to prevent fraud on your account, or to identify fraudulent activity towards TransUnion. This includes disabling accounts that we believe may be victims of fraud.
- To Enhance Your Experience on the Site and Improve our Products: We will use your information to provide you with improved Products, and to enhance your experience while on our Site, and to provide you with other Products that you and other consumers may like. TransUnion Interactive is always striving to improve the customer experience and the products that we offer. Our use of your information will be to test new products, to determine if products that we are contemplating may be desirable to our customers, for analytics, marketing research, and business analysis, which may be beneficial to TransUnion Interactive or an affiliate, including our parent company, Trans Union LLC. At all times, we keep your information secure in accordance with this policy, and we will ensure that we only use your Personal Information for the purpose of improving the customer experience and expanding the products that we can offer.
- To provide you with Advertising we think is Relevant to your Interests: We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads on our site or on other sites which we use for advertising. These companies may employ cookies, local storage objects, log file information, and action tags (also known as single pixel gifs or web beacons) to measure advertising effectiveness; and they are not authorized to use the information we share with them for any other purpose. If you would like more information about this practice and your choices, click here.
- To Maintain the Accuracy of Your Credit Report and Information: We may also use the information that you provide to us in order to improve the accuracy and completeness of your credit report. We may also use the information that you provide to us in order to enhance the databases of affiliated entities.
- For Analytics: We may use Nonpersonal Information in order to perform analytics, improve user experience, improve our product offerings, share with affiliates and third parties for analytics, and to improve their product offerings, to offer consumers targeted offers and advertising.
- For Legal Reasons: TransUnion Interactive also may disclose your Personal Information to third parties in the good faith belief that such action is necessary in order to comply with, or be responsive to, legal process served on us (such as a subpoena), or if we believe such disclosure is necessary to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of TransUnion Interactive, our users or others. In addition, we may disclose your personal information to consultants, agents and advisors, such as attorneys and accountants, in the good faith belief that such disclosure is within the scope of their professional duties to TransUnion Interactive and with the understanding that such professionals will abide by our security and confidentiality policies.
- Third Party Servicers: We may provide your Information to our third party servicers who help us make our products available to you. These are companies engaged by TransUnion or TransUnion's vendors and subcontractors in the normal course of our business, including vendors, subcontractors, companies or third parties that performs business operations on behalf of TransUnion, such as technology support, call center services, communication services, advertising management, or other consumer services.
- TransUnion Affiliates: The TransUnion family of companies is collectively referred to as "TransUnion". We share your Information with the companies that make up the TransUnion family ("Affiliates") in order to provide you with products, to improve our product offerings, to facilitate and improve our advertising, improve our database accuracy, or to send you targeted offers.
- Third Party Ad Servers: These are companies that we engage for advertising services provided for our website and apps, such as advertising placement, advertising performance, cookie management and targeted advertising. "Targeted Advertising" is advertising presented to you based on the information we collect about you in order to determine what advertising corresponds to your preferences or interests. We may share Nonpersonal Information or Online Information with them in the course of their obligations to us.
- Change of Control: In the event that ownership or control of all or part of our Products or their assets change hands, we may provide your information to the new owner.
How Information Is Collected
Information is collected in the following ways:
- When you visit our website: We may collect Online Information or Nonpersonal Information. TransUnion Interactive will collect data about our customers' use of our website, in a manner that does not include any personally identifiable information. While you browse the TransUnion Interactive website, we note which pages of our site you visit and note the IP address of your computer (as all websites do automatically), but we do not link that address information to your Personal Information. The general information we gather enables us to serve our customers better by continually enhancing our site based on up-to-date use patterns.
- When you enroll in or purchase our products: We may collect Information in order to provide you with the Products.
Like many websites, we use retargeting, a cookie-based technology, to provide advertisements that we think our site visitors may like. Retargeting works by placing an anonymous pixel in your browser when you visit the site. The pixel ensures that our ads are served only to people who have previously visited our sites.
We use Google Analytics, Optimizely, or other similar analytical tools to obtain information collected in order to display, optimize and personalize advertisements and customer experience on our web properties that are designed. We are also provided anonymous information collected from other websites on which we display advertisements that enables us to understand how visitors to our site, who were exposed to ads we have placed on those other websites, interact with our site. We may use this information to enhance or modify our campaigns that are designed to bring web visitors to our site. You may opt-out of this anonymous data collection and sharing activity by visiting the Google Analytics Privacy Overview web page and following the procedures noted under the Browser Opt-Out and Privacy Center information sections (search for these sites through www.google.com).
Log File Information is automatically reported by your browser or mobile application each time you access our websites. For example, when you access our websites, our servers automatically record certain information that your web browser sends whenever you visit any website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, IP address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed and other such information. We do not link this automatically-collected data to personally identifiable information.
We use Local Storage Objects such as HTML5 and Flash to store content information and preferences. We partner with third parties to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your browsing activity. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here: https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html#117118. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 Local Storage Objects.
Information Regarding Your Subscription
We may use information about your membership and subscription, such as your usage patterns, to customize your website and/or customer service experience.
Updating Your Personal Information and Email Preferences
You can correct or update at any time the personal information that you provided and that we maintain on you by accessing the TransUnion website and selecting "Account" from the Main Menu. TransUnion is not responsible for and cannot amend the information in your credit report, which is produced by one or more credit reporting agencies. If you believe that some of the information in your credit report is inaccurate, you must contact the applicable credit reporting agency directly. Information on how to contact the credit reporting agency will be contained in the credit report that you receive if you purchase. In addition, Information about how to contact the three major credit reporting agencies is available under "Disputing Your Credit Information" on our website at: https://www.transunion.com/personal-credit/credit-disputes/credit-disputes.page
Links to Other Web Sites
Targeted Advertising Policy
From time to time, we may share aggregated Information about consumers (including you) with our Affiliates, including TransUnion LLC, and other third parties. This information may include: Transactional Information, Online Information, and Nonpersonal Information.
This Information is used to develop and deliver targeted advertising to consumers visiting TransUnion websites. If you opt-in to receive targeted offers, or if you enroll in a Product that provides targeted offers as one of its required features, then you agree that you have opted in to receive such targeted offers from TransUnion or its partners. If you do not want to receive such targeted offers, then you should not enroll in products that contain targeted offers as a required feature.
How you can View or Contest Information that is Collected; How to Opt Out
- Do Not Visit our Website: If you do not want us collecting any Information, do not visit our website. However, if you would like to dispute your credit report, we do not collect Nonpersonal or Online Information on the dispute site (see below for link).
- Cancel Your Subscription: You may cancel your subscription by going to https://www.transunionplus.com/member/account/close/ or by calling toll-free at (855) 468-1378.
- Dispute Information in your Credit Report: If you would like to dispute Information contained in your TransUnion Credit Report, please visit: https://dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp.
- Opt Out of Receiving Targeted Offers: Unless a TransUnion Interactive product requires consumers to agree to receive targeted offers in exchange for the access to the product, consumers have an opportunity to opt-in to receive targeted offers both during the sign-up process and within the product via a checkbox. To opt-out of receiving targeted offers, consumers should login to their existing account, and then visit "Account" link, and de-select the special offers opt-in box. In TransUnion Plus, consumers are not automatically opted- in for this feature.
Policy Regarding Children
California Privacy Rights
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), you, as a California resident, have the following rights.
Right to Access/Disclosure Right
You have the right to request a disclosure of the personal information collected, sold, and shared about you over the past 12 months and the purpose for doing so. Upon submission of a verifiable consumer request, we will provide you with the following information.
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- A list that includes the personal information that we disclosed for a business purpose, identifying the category of personal information that each category of recipient obtained; and
- A separate list that includes the personal information we sold, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased.
If we provide this information to you electronically, the information will be in a portable format. To the extent that it is technically feasible, we will provide you the information in a readily useable format that you can easily transfer to another entity. If you intend to exercise your rights with TUI, click here. If you intend to exercise your rights with TransUnion Plus, click here.
Right to Deletion
If we collected personal information from you, you have the right to request the deletion of this personal information. If you intend to exercise your rights with TUI, click here. If you intend to exercise your rights with TransUnion Plus, click here.
Right to Be Free from Discrimination
You have the right to be free from discrimination for exercising any of the California consumer privacy rights. If you choose to exercise any of your CCPA rights, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services;
- Charge you a different price or rate for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties;
- Provide you a different level or quality of good or services; or
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information
You have the right, at any time, to direct a business that sells or will sell your personal information to third parties to not sell your personal information. If you would like to exercise this right, visit our "Do not sell my personal information" page.
Right to Opt-In the Sale of Personal Information for Children
We do not provide a right to opt-in because we do not offer this Product to minors.
Right to Know
You have the right to know the categories of personal information we collect and the purpose for the collection.
You have the right to know the categories of personal information that we collected, sold, and disclosed for a business purpose during the prior 12 months. If you intend to exercise your rights with TUI, click here. If you intend to exercise your rights with TransUnion Plus, click here.